www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Glen Parker <glene...@techie.com>
Subject mod_proxy/2051: Proxy - need more stuff!
Date Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:24:52 GMT

>Number:         2051
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy - need more stuff!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Just a couple suggestions for the proxy module.

1) There should be a way to have proxy finish loading and caching a URL that
is n% loaded and then interupted.  Example:
CacheLoadContinuePercent 75

2) There should be a way to specify which service is available on which
address/port.  Unless I'm missing something...  The default port for proxy
is 8080, but with Apache running double duty, it will serve both HTTP
and proxy on both 80 and 8080.  Seems to me there ought to be a way to tell
it which is which, and deny say, proxying on port 80.
I realize this could (probably) be accomplished by running the server twice
under two different conf files, but that would be kind of a hassle, really.
Along that same line, serving HTTP ought to be optional, just like
proxying is.  Apache is kind of a HTTP bigot ;-)  If it's gonna do both, it
ought to treat both equally and be able to do both, or either one.

I may be able to add something of a hack to get the load-continuation (#1)
request working, if it isn't a big deal, which of course I'd be happy to
contribute.  Maybe someone could send a few
pointers/suggestions on where to start, since I don't really have time to
start a large spelunking jog right now?  Maybe just a few files that might
be effected by the change?

Glen