www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Jon D. Marburger" <...@one.net>
Subject Re: general/2031: logs incorrectly handled
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 18:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2031; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jon D. Marburger" <jdm@one.net>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org, John Buswell <johnb@one.net>
Subject: Re: general/2031: logs incorrectly handled
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:39:50 -0400 (EDT)

 On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 >>>From userspace with a virtual domain in your home directory:

 >> rm error.log ; touch error.log; chmod 606 error.log

 > Um, unless you're restarting the server while doing this then you've just
 > deleted the error log and nothing else will be written.

 	That's what should be the case.  As far as I know, httpd was not
 restarted every time I performed this test.  To help answer your question
 below, I cc'd the person who compile apache on w3.one.net.

 >> Apache dumps binary data to error.log for the virt dom to the last size of
 >> the file, then appends data normally.

 > This sounds like there is an external program managing the error.log
 > rather than apache.  Are the error logs piped through a program?  Is there
 > any cgiwrap or similar pogram involved?

 	As far as I know, the answer to all of these questions is No.  John?

 	The one thing of possible interest is the inclusion of php with
 apache.  The exact environment variable is:

 	SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/1.2.5 PHP/FI-2.0b12

 > Is NFS involved?

 	Yes.  The central nfs server contains a raid5 array which allows /home
 to be nfs-mounted on w3.one.net, shell.one.net, and other user servers.
 (httpd runs on w3.one.net, I was logged in on shell.one.net.)  I do not know
 which version of nfsd each machine is running as it has been awhile since
 I administered them.

 >> Allow apache to write to log files without needing a hup, or edit source to
 >> enforce no-writes until a hup

 > It is impossible to do this.

 	Ok.  Consider the suggestion dead.  ;)

 > Dean