www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jay Soffian <...@cimedia.com>
Subject apache-api/2024: adding auth_why to conn_rec
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:04:27 GMT

>Number:         2024
>Category:       apache-api
>Synopsis:       adding auth_why to conn_rec
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Currently, once a user is authorized access, there is no way for other
modules nor CGI's to know why the user is authorized. They get AuthType
and remote_user information, but knowing the reason for the authorization
is also useful.

For example, if a directory was protected with:

require group foo bar

and a user was granted access because they were a member of group bar, then
conn_rec.auth_why would be set to "group bar". This information could
be made available to CGI's by setting "AUTH_WHY" in util_script.c

If this sounds resonable, let me know. I'm working on the required changes
for 1.2.x. I can make similar changes to 1.3 and submit patches