www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jules Bean <ju...@jellybean.co.uk>
Subject os-solaris/2016: Under some circumstances files 'break' - and remain so.
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:03:34 GMT

>Number:         2016
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Under some circumstances files 'break' - and remain so.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In this case, a GIF file, which is certainly 'OK' in general fails to
download from a virtual server.  It is not a client issue - direct
telnet confirms the problem.

The identical file will download fine from a different virtual host on the
same server.  Although the configs are not identical (of the two servers)
making them so does not change the problem.

Restarting the web server process does not fix the problem.  Sometimes,
but not always, copying the file will fix the problem.  It is as if the file
is 'locked' open (mmap()ed?).

The server will always report a succesful (status 200) access.  The client
will hang on 'host contacted, waiting for reply'

I have extensively investigated this problem, and it's either very stupid,
or very bizarre.  Although NFS is involved in our setup, I am confident that
is not relevant (I can replicate the problem on a non-NFS set up).

Although I have not tried to test it on another OS, I'm guessing that this is a
solaris problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem *is* rather erratic.  It can occasionally be made to go away
by copying files.

Currently, I have an example running as:

http://www.erik.co.uk/TNGirl.gif
http://www.eurotalk.co.uk/TNGirl.gif

You will, I hope, find that the one under 'erik' works fine, the one under
'eurotalk' doesn't.
>Fix:
Looks to me like something freaky to do with overrunning buffers, or
similar