www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From William Beegle <bee...@psc.edu>
Subject os-netbsd/2003: kill -HUP doesn't work right
Date Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:37:19 GMT

>Number:         2003
>Category:       os-netbsd
>Synopsis:       kill -HUP doesn't work right
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.2.5
>Environment:
uname -a says:
NetBSD sport.psc.edu 1.3 NetBSD 1.3 (SPORT) #1: Fri Jan 16 15:15:45 EST 1998
ksulliva@pit.psc.edu:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/SPORT i386

If apache is running and I change the configuration file (I've consolidated
everything into httpd.conf) and restart using "kill -HUP procID", apache
seems to restart, but it continues to use the old configuration information.

If I type:
"kill procID ; /usr/local/apache_1.2.5/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache_1.2.5/conf/httpd.conf"
the configuration changes are detected.

This seems to be an issue specific to NetBSD.  At least, I haven't seen it
on any other OSs.  I'm not familiar enough with NetBSD to guess why it happens.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
As above.  Don't use "kill -HUP".  kill the process completely and restart