www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jason Priebe <pri...@wral-tv.com>
Subject os-irix/2002: unkillable httpd processes
Date Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:04:38 GMT

>Number:         2002
>Category:       os-irix
>Synopsis:       unkillable httpd processes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
To restart our httpd, we use

kill -HUP `cat /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/httpd.pid`

Most of the time, this successfully restarts the web server, allowing us
to rotate our logs.  But sometimes the server shuts down leaving a few
httpd processes that are unkillable.  (they refuse to respond to "kill -9").
The only recourse at that point is a reboot.

We have also seen similar behavior when stopping the web server, using:

kill `cat /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/httpd.pid`

Some of the processes hang inexplicably.  The server root is on an
NFS-mounted volume, if that is of any help.