www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject RE: general/1956: Make file problems
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/1956; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Seth Allen <seth@onyxgroup.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: general/1956: Make file problems
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:43:28 -0700 (MST)

 On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Seth Allen wrote:

 > I am using the version of "nmake" from Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0. If you
 > type the command "cl -?" you will see that there is no compiler option
 > "/FD".

 Please provide the exact version number of your nmake along with the exact
 output when you try to compile an unmodified source tree.

 > Everyone else who has downloaded the source code and tried compiling it
 > on Windows NT has either given up or hacked the MAKE files the same way
 > I did. I don't know why you bother having something for users to
 > download if it's going to remain full of mistakes. Nor do I understand
 > why you have a mechanism for reporting bugs if you are going to complain
 > about every bug report that arrives. Why don't you just fix the MAKE
 > files? It's not very difficult. All you have to do is change the two
 > colons to one and remove the "/FD" compiler option.

 If you are going to ignore everything I say, please get lost.

 I am amazed at how you are qualified to talk about "everyone else" yet all
 the people that we have that are having zero problems don't matter somehow
 and I have never heard of any of these "everyone else".  I am trying to
 figure out the cause of this problem and a way to fix it, but if you
 refuse to provide the information I ask for there ism't much I can do.

 I would have to suggest your system is really messed up in some way.  You
 can't run the installer, you can't compile properly, etc.  You don't seem
 to understand that we have had zero reports for anyone else with this sort
 of problem.

 I trust VC to generate makefiles it can deal with more than I trust anyone
 else to tell me what it can deal with.  You have to understand that making
 something work on _your_ system, when your system is the only one that has
 the problems, really isn't the goal here.

 We are perfectly willing and very grateful for bug reports and we do fix
 things which are bugs.

 The /FD option is probably left over from something somewhere, so it
 probably will get removed unless we can figure out its purpose.  It does
 not, however, cause any problems for me compiling it.  As I have said
 before, we will not be changing the makefiles unless you can provide
 something further to back up your assertions because they are exactly what
 VC generated.  We do not create them manually and will do everything we
 can to leave them in the form that VC automatically generates them.