www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-irix/1945: Apache logs endlessly to error_log and never starts up. (fwd)
Date Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:00:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-irix/1945; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: os-irix/1945: Apache logs endlessly to error_log and never starts up. (fwd)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:47:41 -0700 (MST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:30:15 -0500 (EST)
 From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@bu.edu>
 To: marc@hyperreal.org
 Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, marc@apache.org
 Subject: Re: os-irix/1945: Apache logs endlessly to error_log and never starts up.

 > I will ask again, as I already asked in response to your
 > Usenet query:

 I will respond again, as I already did to your usenet query.

 > Where are your config files?

 > Are you sure you have Apache set to use the right config files?
 > Where are the config files that you think it should be using?
 > What do you have it compiled to use?

 It's using the config files in /usr/local/apache/conf.  I have not changed
 the compiled-in defaults.  I have tried it with both the distributed
 *.conf files and with my own with the same results (but you already knew
 thisk, because I told you).

 > What is the username specified in your config file for the User
 > directive?

 nobody

 (Which follows from the fact that I had the problem with the *.conf files
 distributed with Apache)

 >Is there an entry in the passwd file for it?

 Yes.  Thank you.  This is what I was looking for.  Removing the duplicate
 user entry (which, incidentally, caused no problems for 1.2.5) fixed this
 problem...and introduced another.

 Now, httpd exits immediately with the follow error in the logs:

   semget: No space left on device

 Which, I suppose, beats an endless loop.

 -- Lars

 --
 Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars@bu.edu * (617)353-8277
 Office of Information Technology, Boston University