www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kevin Goddard <kgodd...@comstar.net>
Subject Re: os-linux/1914: Apache swallows system resources until server locks up.
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 21:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/1914; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin Goddard <kgoddard@comstar.net>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Cc: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Subject: Re: os-linux/1914: Apache swallows system resources until server locks up.
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:10:13 -0500 (EST)

 I belive I may have been able to fix this.  I am still watching, but it is
 run okay for the last 2 hours.
 I did two things, I removed the mod_status module from the configuration.
 This slowed down the crash.  I also had the ReWrite commands in a
 .htaccess file in the root directory of one of my virtual hosted sites.
 As soon as I removed it, everything calmed back down and went smoothly.  I
 believe it may have been due to the fact that they site is very "deep" ie
 it as several subdirectories, and the ReWrite engine was trying to cover
 them all.  Since I only need it to cover my images directory, I was able
 to put a .htaccess in it and the server runs fine (and correctly) now.
 Kevin Goddard

 On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 >Are there any messages in your error_log?
 >
 >Is NFS involved at all?  If so you need to add something like "LockFile
 >/var/run/httpd.lock" into your config.
 >
 >Dean

 Kevin Goddard
 ComStar Communications