www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: os-linux/1893: Server halts for apparently no reason
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 01:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/1893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: ROOT <root@wipd.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-linux/1893: Server halts for apparently no reason
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:35:06 -0800 (PST)

 ---909180094-1341353953-888801951=:14311

 On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, ROOT wrote:

 > Yes, I use a patch that allows 3000 FD's to be open.  I have attached my
 > current kernel patches that I always apply, and my kernel configuration.

 Yeah that's the patch I figured you were using.  Take a look at
 http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/patches/1024-descriptors.patch.  Notice the
 bit about INIT_NR_OPEN.  That is to protect programs that were built with
 FD_SETSIZE=256 ...

 You need to rebuild your C library if you use any of these patches.
 Otherwise it still has hardcoded FD_ZERO()s and such with 256 maximums.
 You also need to build apache on a system with the larger FD_SETSIZE in
 the include files.  i.e. a lot of care has to be taken.

 > By the way, I have just set the priority of all my daemons back to 0
 > instead of 19, and I haven't seen the problem for about 45 minutes.  I
 > wonder if the priorities of everything has anything to do with anything ??

 I'm not sure what you mean by this... you were running apache at nice +19 ?

 Dean

 ---909180094-1341353953-888801951=:14311--