www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Allen Chen <ac...@nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: mod_auth-any/1778: Apache ignores .htaccess files in cgi-bin directories when using AllowOverride speed-up trick
Date Mon, 09 Feb 1998 16:31:50 GMT
Hi guys,

I think I found the problem.  I'm not sure if it's considered a bug or an
error on my part, but what I had done was this:

  <Directory />
  AllowOverride None
  </Directory>

  <Directory /opt/local/etc/httpd/htdocs>
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride All
  </Directory>

  <Directory /opt/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin>
  AllowOverride All
  </Directory>

  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/
                         ^^^

Notice that /cgi-bin/'s ScriptAlias points to /USR/local... instead of
/OPT/local...  This worked because /usr/local is a link to /opt/local.
However, probably because of the way Apache determines the directory tree,
the <Directory /opt/local/.../cgi-bin> did not get evaluated for
/usr/local/.../cgi-bin.

To make a convoluted story short, changing the ScriptAlias to

  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /opt/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/
                         ^^^
fixed the problem. :)

-Allen

  Allen Chen   /   Systems Programmer   /   Raytheon STX Corporation ////
 SSDOO Software, Systems / International Solar-Terrestrial Physics /////
e-mail: achen@nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov   /  voice: (301) 286-7376     //////