www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tim Costello <tjcos...@socs.uts.edu.au>
Subject mod_proxy/1889: Incorrect parsing of full URI causes proxy requests to fail
Date Sat, 28 Feb 1998 22:41:14 GMT

>Number:         1889
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Incorrect parsing of full URI causes proxy requests to fail
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have compiled the proxy module into apachecore.dll, because Windows 95 is still unable to
load the proxy module dll at runtime.

Whenever a proxy request is made, the server responds "BAD REQUEST - Your browser sent a request
that this server could not understand."
>How-To-Repeat:
Any URL will do, eg. http://www.apache.org/
Start apache as a caching proxy server, then set a browser to use it as a proxy. (I have tried
Opera 3 and Netscape 4.04)
You should get a "BAD REQUEST" error page.
>Fix:
The problem appears to have been caused by a change in http_protocol.c, between 1.3b3 and
1.3b5.
The function concerned is 'check_fulluri'.
When the function attempts to find the hostname in the URI, it copies the leading '://' into
'name', as well as the hostname. The function then thinks that the hostname is ':'.

TO FIX:
replace the line
    name = pstrdup(r->pool, uri + plen);
with this line
    name = pstrdup(r->pool, uri + plen + 3);
%0