www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Joerg Klaas <joergkl...@netside.de>
Subject mod_auth-any/1860: DBM Authentication not working...
Date Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:46:39 GMT

>Number:         1860
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       DBM Authentication not working...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I already read all Bug-Reports and found people who seem to have the
same problem.
Unfortunately I still cannot find a solution.

I try to use the DBM Authentication Method but get always the results
listed below.
I downloaded and installed the newest Version of gdbm and successfully
re-compiled Apache, but without any improvment in authentication...
HELP !

My '.htaccess' file looks like this
    <Limit GET POST>
    require valid-user
    </Limit>
    AuthName TEST
    Authtype basic
    AuthDBMUserFile /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/adr/htpasswd

I created my DBM File 'htpasswd'  using
'dbmmanage.new /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/adr/htpasswd adduser test test '.

but if I try to login using my browser, the following is printed in the
servers error logfile (this is the version with Apache 1.3.x):

[Mon Feb 23 10:52:03 1998] [error] (2)No such file or directory:
could not open dbm auth file: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/adr/htpasswd

[Mon Feb 23 10:52:03 1998] [error] DBM user test not found:
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/adr

>How-To-Repeat:
I did nothing special, I tried this on several new machines, several times.
I always downloaded the latest versions. (Apache, gdbm)
Actually it seems to me that there's a very good chance that this
is working nowhere ;-). (maybe except a few sites)
except for a few
>Fix:
I'm not a expierenced programmer, so, no idea