www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: config/1844: NameVirtualHost requires a VirtualHost for my real host.
Date Fri, 20 Feb 1998 06:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/1844; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: David Manifold <tril@bespin.ml.org>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: config/1844: NameVirtualHost requires a VirtualHost for my real host.
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:55:46 -0800 (PST)

 On 20 Feb 1998, David Manifold wrote:

 > >Fix:
 > Fix NameVirtualHost to not treat every incoming request to the system's only IP
 > as a virtual host.  Or, alter the documentation to make note of this limitation.

 It's not a limitation, it's documented to behave exactly this way.  The
 vhosts/details.html docs say this:

     The first vhost on this list (the first vhost that appears after the
     corresponding NameVirtualHost directive in the config file) has the
     highest priority and catches any request to an unknown server name
     or a request without a Host: header.

 So it will never serve your "main server" config.  You need to encapsulate your main
 server as the first <VirtualHost> for your IP.

 Dean