www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Timothy VanFosson <t...@ccad.uiowa.edu>
Subject os-irix/1824: problem with uudecode() when optimizations turned on
Date Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:59:56 GMT

>Number:         1824
>Category:       os-irix
>Synopsis:       problem with uudecode() when optimizations turned on
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The uudecode() function seems to fail for some authorization strings
when the optimization level is set to "-O2".  uudecode() only returns
the user id and the first four letters of the decoded password entry.
This causes the authorization attempt to fail even if the user enters
the correct password.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create both a group and a password file.  The group file contains
one group entry with three users.  Use a require-group to reference
this group entry.  Try accessing the directory protected by the
directive using the id of the second of the three users in the group
entry.
>Fix:
In the course of trying to track this down I found that putting in
fprintf()s in the uudecode() function caused the in correct behavior
to cease.  I suspect that it is either stack-related in the code or
the compiler.  Turning off the optimizations also "cured" the incorrect
behavior.  I have not tried it using newer compilers