www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Mechalas <jo...@ichips.intel.com>
Subject Re: mod_auth-any/1809: Suggestion for improving authentication modules and core source code, problem with 401 and ErrorDocument
Date Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:35:34 GMT

> Synopsis: Suggestion for improving authentication modules and core source code, problem
with 401 and ErrorDocument

Real quick...in my note I mis-spokle (although all the modifications and
problems are still valid).  When you use a 401 ErrorDocument handler, I
stated that Apache sends a blank "WWW-Authenticate:" header.  This was
incorrect...Apache doesn't send _any_ "WWW-Authenticate:" header.  It is
up to the CGI script to generate it correctly.

The original problem still stands, though...you can't generate the
WWW-Authenticate header in the CGI script since you don't have any
information regarding the authentication method that triggered the 401
error.

Cheers,
John

--
John Mechalas                    \               carpe cavy!
Intel MD6 Engineering Computing   \