www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/1796: MSIE returns an error: The requested header was not found
Date Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:00:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/1796; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Jake <mwj@jakes.msfc.nasa.gov>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-windows/1796: MSIE returns an error: The requested header was not found
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:57:24 -0700 (MST)

 On 12 Feb 1998, Jake wrote:

 > When requesting a web page that has been moved, IE get a popup window that states:
 > "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/pb.html
 > The requested header was not found"
 >
 > In the srm.conf file I have the Directive:
 > Redirect /pb.html /errors/redirect.html
 > and
 > ErrorDocument 302 /errors/redirect.html
 >
 > If I comment out the line "ErrorDocument 302 /errors/redirect.html", the
 > Redirect works.
 >
 > Can I not have both directives?

 No.  You are telling your server that instead of sending a redirect it
 should send the listed document.  That doesn't make any sense.  If you
 wanted to change the text in the body of a 302, you would have to make
 your own CGI that figured out the proper Location: header from the
 environment variables it is passed and sent the location header
 explicitly.  Almost no clients will see it (ie. not even Navigator 0.9
 will), so there is no real point to having a 302 errordocument.

 > Netscape works just fine, but MSIE3.x and up returns the error message.
 >
 > I reported this to Microsoft and they stated the following:
 >
 > Based on the network trace, it appears that your server is failing to send
 > the location header indicating to the browser where it should redirect to.
 > Internet Explorer is behaving as designed. Since you are not using a
 > Microsoft server I have reached the end of my support boundaries on this
 > issue.
 >
 > Is this a "Usual and customary" response from MS or is there a problem with the
 > server?  If the later, then why does Netscape work.

 That is a superb response from Microsoft and 100% accurate and you should
 keep a framed copy on your well because it is the best and most
 informative response I have ever heard them give anyone on anything.
 Honest!  IMHO, of course.

 Navigator may be stealing the bit from your refresh META tag.  There is no
 reason for a client to do stuff like that, so IE is perfectly legit to do
 what it does.