www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matt Braithwaite <...@alink.net>
Subject general/1787: accept loops on ENOTSOCK, filling up logfile
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 01:00:37 GMT

>Number:         1787
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       accept loops on ENOTSOCK, filling up logfile
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
we do graceful restarts hourly.  on rare occasions, right after a graceful
restart, the logfile will fill up with

	accept: (client socket): socket operation on non-socket

from examining the code, it appears that the meaning of this is that a socket
becomes invalid in one or more children's lists, and consistently is reported
as being read-ready by select, and is consistently bonged by accept.  i have no
idea how the child wound up with a bogus socket descriptor in the first place,
though.  i am curious to know what graceful restarts have to do with it.
could anything done by the parent cause the child's socket to become invalid?
this is a plausible question for me because of the race condition with graceful
restarts---it looks, at first glance, as though a child could miss a SIGUSR1.
>How-To-Repeat:
not reproducible.  has happened a handful of times.
>Fix:
i have found a number of tickets that sound a lot like this, but none that are
exactly the same.  there are perhaps 3-6 of the form ``accept/select in
http_main.c loops on some error, filling up the logfile.''  in these tickets
you have been able to suggest specific fixes that go to the root of the problem.
however, i think this loop could be more defensive, given that the case of
accept or select getting stuck on a particular error seems not entirely
uncommon.  one possibility:  count failed accept()s against the maximum number
of connections permitted for a child process, so that in conditions like this
the logs won't fill up