www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: general/1724: endless copies of the deamon spawn, making server not respond (fwd)
Date Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1724; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/1724: endless copies of the deamon spawn, making server not respond
(fwd)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:32:50 -0800 (PST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:58:54 -0500 (EST)
 From: Ratman <rat@rat.org>
 To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
 Subject: Re: general/1724: endless copies of the deamon spawn, making server not respond

 On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 > > I switched to FreeBSD, and it still does it! So it's not OS-related.
 > > I was also using the spell checker module, so I took that out, and went
 > > with a plain configuration of Apache, and it still did does it. The only
 > > thing I can think of now, is maybe something about the CGI i have does it.
 > > I use an nph script, could that affect it?
 >
 > Yeah, nph scripts can affect it.  They're handled differently by the
 > server than regular CGI scripts.

 anything about the script that you can think of that would cause it? it's
 a /bin/sh script, and it can take minutes to run sometimes. that's why i
 want it nph-, so users can see what it's doing. but i don't see how that
 could cause it to clog up the server. the scripts aren't running while
 it's clogged.

 > > So, am I still the only one reporting this problem?
 >
 > Yup.

 darn it!

 > Can you ktrace one of the blocked children when this happens?

 ok.

 > What do you have your Timeout and KeepAliveTimeout set to?

 timeout is set to 28800, because i have a lot of large files, and a short
 timeout wasn't acceptable. i wish there was an idle timeout, rather than
 just timeout.

 keepalivetimeout was unset, so 15 i guess.