www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Allen Chen <ac...@nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject mod_auth-any/1778: Apache ignores .htaccess files in cgi-bin directories when using AllowOverride speed-up trick
Date Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:45:25 GMT

>Number:         1778
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       Apache ignores .htaccess files in cgi-bin directories when using AllowOverride
speed-up trick
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Following the instructions found at www.apacheweek.com/tips under the section
"How to speed up Apache," it is recommended that the following be used to
prevent Apache from searching the entire directory tree above the DocumentRoot
for .htaccess files:

                   <Directory />
                   AllowOverride None
                   </Directory>

                   <Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs>
                   AllowOverride All
                   </Directory>

This part works fine.  However, I also added:

                   <Directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin>
                   AllowOverride All
                   </Directory>

Unfortunately, this does NOT seem to work.  .htaccess files in the cgi-bin
directories are being ignored!  The only way to get them to work again is
to comment out the original Directory directive:

                   #<Directory />
                   #AllowOverride None
                   #</Directory>
>How-To-Repeat: