www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Mike Brudenell" <p...@york.ac.uk>
Subject Re: os-solaris/1757: A HUP signal to Apache 1.2.5 can leave hung children on multi-processor Suns
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 17:37:31 GMT
--On Mon, Feb 2, 1998 4:09 pm +0000 Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org wrote:

> Synopsis: A HUP signal to Apache 1.2.5 can leave hung children on
multi-processor Suns

> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> State-Changed-By: Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org
> State-Changed-When: Mon Feb  2 08:09:57 PST 1998
> State-Changed-Why:
>
> What about the lockfile? It MUST be located a local
> filesystem.
> See the LockFile directive for details.

AAaaaaarrrgghhh!!!  Yup... this seems to be the problem: the lock file was
defaulting to go into the logs/ directory relative to the server root.  When
the latter is on the NFS-mounted filestore the hung child problem occurs.

Keeping everything on the NFS-mounted filestore except for the lock file
(which is placed on a local disk such as /var/tmp) works just fine: no more
hung children.

I had a feeling file locking was involved, but had forgotten about the
LockFile directive from my original reading of the documentation.

[In my defence I could perhaps point out that this explicitly says it should
normally be left alone at its default value, saying only "the lockfile
_should_ be stored on a local disk _if possible_" (emphasis mine); there
isn't a warning about possible total-hangs if not set properly.  Certainly I
couldn't find hide nor hair of the problem in the Bug Database.  Hey-ho.]

My sincere thanks to one and all, and apologies for troubling you (I'll now
go and see if I can grow the hair back that I've been tearing out for the
last two days! :-)

Cheers,

--
Mike Brudenell                                         <pmb1@york.ac.uk>
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York, YO1 5DD, UK

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *