www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ratman <...@rat.org>
Subject Re: general/1724: endless copies of the deamon spawn, making server not respond
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1724; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ratman <rat@rat.org>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/1724: endless copies of the deamon spawn, making server not respond
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:05:21 -0500 (EST)

 On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

 > On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Ratman wrote:
 >
 > > God, i hope it's nothing on my end. I'd hate to be wasting your time with
 > > a support issue. :(
 >
 > Well sometimes it turns out that we can work around system problems... so
 > you never know.  So far yours doesn't seem like anything else we're
 > familiar with.

 Darn. I was hoping other people would write with the same thing.

 > What linux kernel did you have on it before?  Any patches applied?  Is it

 I had 2.0.27 from the redhat distribution. no patches of any kind.

 > a plain 2.0.33 now?

 The only patch is the teardrop patch. That was actually the main reason I
 upgraded the kernel. :)

 > Oh and one more thing... if the children are stuck in <zombie> then it
 > means the parent isn't learning about their death.  Which is odd.  At that
 > point if you could use "strace -p <parent_pid>" to find out what the
 > parent is doing and send us a bit of the output that'd be great.

 Will do!
 So far so good. I turned off my cron workaround that would
 `ps -ax | grep httpd`, and if > 100, send a HUP signal. :)
 So if it gets stuck again, it will stay stuck, and i'll strace it for you.
 I see what you mean about CGI, I sometimes see zombies during normal
 script operation. But this is like 50 or more zombies, and there's no
 other scripts associated with them.
 Anyway, Thanks for all your help. I'll write again when I know more.