www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/1726: Apache hangs
Date Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/1726; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: John Hawthorne <hawthorn@cs.ubc.ca>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-windows/1726: Apache hangs
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:57:08 -0700 (MST)

 On 23 Jan 1998, John Hawthorne wrote:

 > >Number:         1726
 > >Category:       os-windows
 > >Synopsis:       Apache hangs
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical
 > I suspect this is the same problem described in PR1607 and PR1129.  Apache
 > hangs on a request about once per day.  The only way to get any further is
 > to kill the process.  The problem is intermittent and does not seem to depend
 > on the script in question, so it is difficult to reproduce.  However, the
 > problem is basically making Apache unusable as a server for us.  (Please help,
 > we would much rather use Apache than IIS...)
 >
 > Note:  I could not use your pre-built binary, it generates 500 errors: premature
 > end of script...  (So I had to make the executable myself.)
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Sorry.  It is sporadic.  Just try a lot of scripts over and over again?

 Are you sure it is not simply after so many CGI scripts have been run?  In
 1.3b3 there is a file descriptor leak.  Check the number of file handles
 used in the performance monitor and you will probably find that they are
 increasing until you eventually run out of them.

 If this is the problem, it has been fixed in the source tree and the fix
 will be avaiable in 1.3b4.