www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Fredrik Wahlberg <fred...@comwell.se>
Subject general/1713: Internal server error with .htaccess file in directory above document root
Date Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:03:06 GMT

>Number:         1713
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Internal server error with .htaccess file in directory above document
root
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
By mistake I named a password-file .htaccess in a directory above the document
root. The result was a "500, internal server error". I tried it on another
machine and it works for both standalone and virtual servers. With the virtual
server it does not affect the other servers. The errorlog says "Invalid argument:
/home/xxxx/.htaccess: Invalid command: 'text'"
... time passes ... I just tried putting the .htaccess file in the system root
and I still get a 500...
I am not sure if this is a bug or just me doing something stupid, but I thought
you'd like to know.
>How-To-Repeat:
Just write a file called .htaccess and type something like "dklsjf" and see what
happens...
>Fix:
Nope, I'm no hacker..