www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Aidas Kasparas <kas...@soften.ktu.lt>
Subject Re: config/1649: .htaccess is searched UNDER DocumentRoot
Date Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/1649; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Aidas Kasparas <kaspar@soften.ktu.lt>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: config/1649: .htaccess is searched UNDER DocumentRoot
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:01:24 +0200 (MET)

 > I'm confused about why you don't just use "AllowOverride none" as I
 > suggested before.
 >
 > <Directory />
 > AllowOverride None
 > </Directory>
 > <Direoctory /whatever/path>
 > AllowOverride whateveryouwant
 > </Directory>
 > ... and so on.

 	This will not do what I want. If we have document root at
 /doc/root/dir and I ask for document /blah/blah/blah.html in standard way
 it will do

 stat("/doc/root/dir/blah/blah/blah.html");
 open("/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/dir/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/dir/blah/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/dir/blah/blah/.htaccess");

 	And I want it did:
 stat("/doc/root/dir/blah/blah/blah.html");
 open("/doc/root/dir/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/dir/blah/.htaccess");
 open("/doc/root/dir/blah/blah/.htaccess");
 	which is shorter by 3 sys calls.

 > The problem with trying to guess where the documentroot is is that I'm not
 > convinced you will always get it right.

 	Well. Hack alone can't reliably do that. But modules that maps
 URIs to filenames knows that info for sure. Why don't ask them to share
 this information with those that checks access?

 Aidas