www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject config/1649: .htaccess is searched UNDER DocumentRoot
Date Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/1649; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Aidas Kasparas <kaspar@soften.ktu.lt>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: config/1649: .htaccess is searched UNDER DocumentRoot
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:44:59 -0700 (MST)

 On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Aidas Kasparas wrote:

 > Dear Colleagues,
 >
 > I know official state of this question is "closed" but I had problems
 > with this behavior, I made some changes and would like to share my
 > results.
 >
 > 	Let's count:
 > 	o in standard installation with documents located in
 > /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs apache tries to open .htaccess file in 5
 > directories above the point where all documents are stored;
 > 	o in case of user www space (i.e. documents under
 > /home/user/public_html) 3 opens;
 > 	o in case of expert installation (i.e.  /web/{cust1, cust2, ...,
 > custN} - 2 opens.
 >
 > 	If in any of these paths indirect automounter map is involved (I
 > know - this is lame, but we do live in not perfect world)  -
 > one risks to get his log filled with messages that system can't mount some
 > .htaccess files for the simple reason that they do not exist.
 >
 > 	Are these files used in practice in these places? IMHO on 99.9% of
 > all servers - no (I may be wrong). The only use for them that comes to my
 > mind is configuring hierarchies like:

 I'm confused about why you don't just use "AllowOverride none" as I
 suggested before.

 <Directory />
 AllowOverride None
 </Directory>
 <Direoctory /whatever/path>
 AllowOverride whateveryouwant
 </Directory>
 ... and so on.

 The problem with trying to guess where the documentroot is is that I'm not
 convinced you will always get it right.