www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lauri Jesmin <jes...@ut.ee>
Subject mod_userdir/1701: UserDir and absoluthe path.
Date Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:27:30 GMT

>Number:         1701
>Category:       mod_userdir
>Synopsis:       UserDir and absoluthe path.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
If we set UserDir to an absolute path (UserDir /home/web/ for example) then
apache just adds username to this directory (for ~foo is /home/web/foo). But
it's possible to give . or .. as username. So if you try to access ~. you can
see the listing of UserDir (in our example /home/web)  if there is no index.html
or equivalent. And if we use .. as username, so we try to access ~.. in server,
we can see one directory up from UserDir (/home in our example). If we use
~../.. as username, the handling seems to be correct.
>How-To-Repeat:
Just set the UserDir to /tmp and watch your /tmp directory and / directory
from browser.
>Fix:
Probably check for username if UserDir is given as absolute path and if it is
. or .. , deny access.