www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading from 1.3a1 to 1.3b3 (fwd)
Date Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1680; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading   from 1.3a1
to 1.3b3 (fwd)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:48:50 -0700 (MST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:01:53 -0800 (PST)
 From: Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>
 To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
 Subject: Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading   from 1.3a1 to 1.3b3

 Marc,

 The modified 1.3b3 (no serialized accepts) has been running now for
 two days with none of the earlier behavior we saw.  However, the spate
 of errors due to not being able to spawn CGI child processes has
 pushed it over the top again.

 I got several calls and email from customers, and pages from our
 office about "Error 500 - Internal Server Errors", checked the error
 log, and noticed the "resource temporarily unavailable, unable to
 spawn child process" on CGIs, just barreling in.  At the time, the
 entire process table had only 151 entries and the web server was
 taking 400 hpm.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

 I restarted httpd and the errors subsided immediately, and yet the
 load on the server is exactly the same.  So something is happening
 internally to the httpd server itself that is causing it to not be
 able to exec CGIs (or think it can't anyway).

 I'm going back to 1.3a1 until we get that figured out.  Awaiting
 further instructions for testing.

 --Morgan

   /     /  /__   Network  |  619/637-3600 x 1020  |  mailto:mdavis@cts.com
  /__   /  ___/  Services  |  FAX 619/637-3630     |  http://www.cts.com/