www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading from 1.3a1 to 1.3b3 (fwd)
Date Sun, 18 Jan 1998 01:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/1680; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading   from 1.3a1
to 1.3b3 (fwd)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:42:51 -0700 (MST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:49:08 -0800 (PST)
 From: Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>
 To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
 Subject: Re: general/1680: Critically anomalous behavior when upgrading   from 1.3a1 to 1.3b3

 Marc Slemko writes:
 > Comment out the USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT bit from the section
 > appropriate to your OS in src/main/conf.h.

 The server has been running since I last wrote to you with this
 modification, and have not witnessed the behavior we had seen
 immediately before with a virgin 1.3b3 (network alarms and pagers
 going off, stuck children, etc).  By removing that #define, is this a
 performance hit?  Or just the opposite?  I can't tell if this is a
 good thing or bad.

 However, the error log file still shows many "mmap_handler" failures,
 and more disturbingly periodic rashes of "resource temporarily
 unavailable - unable to spawn child process" when exec'ing a CGI.
 Server was handling about 500 hits a minute at the time, with about 45
 active children.  Basically loafing along with 106 virtual hosts.

 --Morgan

   /     /  /__   Network  |  619/637-3600 x 1020  |  mailto:mdavis@cts.com
  /__   /  ___/  Services  |  FAX 619/637-3630     |  http://www.cts.com/