www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Gavin Lambert <uec...@geocities.com>
Subject Re: mod_userdir/1675: Peculiar <Directory> results
Date Sun, 18 Jan 1998 00:00:09 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_userdir/1675; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gavin Lambert <uecasm@geocities.com>
To: Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org, Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Subject: Re: mod_userdir/1675: Peculiar <Directory> results
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:51:55 +1200

 At 18:21 17/01/98 -0000, Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org wrote:
 >State-Changed-From-To: open-closed

 This issue is definately still open.

 >The value of your UserDir directive appears to be wrong.
 >Please see the UserDir documentation for usage details.

 According to the documentation for UserDir, it *is* valid:

 ServerRoot c:/apache
 UserDir users/*/public_html

 will map the URL /~test/blah.html to
 C:\Apache\users\test\public_html\blah.html.

 And indeed it *does* work, unless the <Directory /> section is included, as
 is recommended in the FAQ.

 On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:24:21 -0700 (MST), Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> wrote:
 >What happens if you try including the drive letter, eg. c:/ in the auth
 >files?

 Ok, I've tried fiddling around with the entries, and have discovered the
 following:

  - The <Directory /> section, when present, seems to 403 my entire site.
  - If changed to <Directory C:>, everything works again (including the user
 dir)
  - If changed to <Directory C:/> or <Directory C:/.> everything stops
 working again.

 I definately think that it is a server bug when a single trailing slash
 stops the entire site from working, especially when it should have been
 overridden by later entries in any case.

 -----
 Gavin Lambert
 uecasm@geocities.com
 http://ue.home.ml.org/   (recommended)
 http://ue2.home.ml.org/  (alternate site, not updated often)
 Mirabilis ICQ UIN: 2274180

 ----
 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.

 Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

 On the wall of the women's restroom on the Enterprise:
           'Where no man has gone before'
 ----

 Note:  the above quotes have been randomly selected from a huge list.  I
 take no responsibility should you find any of them offensive.