www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_include/1688: SetCookie as an SSI (fwd)
Date Sat, 17 Jan 1998 02:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_include/1688; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: mod_include/1688: SetCookie as an SSI (fwd)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:50:35 -0700 (MST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:37:25 -0600
 From: Eric Meyer <meyer@newslink.org>
 To: marc@hyperreal.org
 Subject: Re: mod_include/1688: SetCookie as an SSI

 At 23:30 on 16 Jan 98, marc@hyperreal.org  wrote in part:

 > Synopsis: SetCookie as an SSI
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: marc
 > State-Changed-When: Fri Jan 16 15:30:35 PST 1998
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > There is no way for Apache to set a cookie in the
 > request header based on SSI output at some point in the
 > body because the header has already been sent.  You need
 > to design your system some other way to remove that need.
 >
 > There may be some META tag that can set a cookie in the
 > body, however I am not aware of any.

 Thanks. I messed around and found that
 <META HTTP-EQUIV="Set-Cookie" CONTENT="$newcookie">
 will, indeed, do it, at least for some equipment configurations.
   N E W S L I N K                    Eric K. Meyer
   research and consulting         Managing partner
 * DESIGNING INFOGRAPHICS: Preview definitive new
   how-to book at http://www.newslink.org/book.html
 * TOMORROW'S NEWS TODAY: For free sample of newly
   revised, critically acclaimed strategic guide
   for online publishers, write report@newslink.org
 * AJR NEWSLINK: Visit the web's top media resource,
   with 7,000 links, including more newspaper links
   than any other site, at http://www.newslink.org