www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chris Teakle <cctea...@cc.uq.edu.au>
Subject mod_rewrite/1684: RewriteLog directive does the equivalent of "HostnameLookups on".
Date Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:21:47 GMT

>Number:         1684
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       RewriteLog directive does the equivalent of "HostnameLookups on".
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Using a RewriteLog directive causes DNS lookups to be performed on all accesses
and causes hostname to be used instead of IP addresses in access_log (and the
rewrite log file itself). It does not matter that there is a "HostnameLookups off"
directive.

The problem only seems to manifest itself if there is a non-trivial access.conf
configuration. E.g. more than one Directory definition.
The problem does not occur with this access.conf:

<Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs>
Options Indexes SymlinksIfOwnerMatch
AllowOverride Limit
<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 130.102
</Limit>
</Directory>

But it does if the following is added:

<Directory /*/public_html*>
Options SymlinksIfOwnerMatch
</Directory>

The httpd.conf is simple, with these being the only rewrite-related directives:

RewriteEngine on  #Use this to turn rewrite on and off!!
RewriteLog "/usr/local/httpd/logs/rewrite.log"
#Rewriterule /~zz(.*$) http://www.uq.net.au/~zz$1 [R]

In fact you don't even need a Rewriterule directive for the problem to occur.

>How-To-Repeat:
The full description should give sufficient info to repeat the problem.
I can provide full config files if required.
>Fix:
I suspect the problem is in get_remote_host(), or in the way it is called
from the rewritelog() function in mod_rewrite.c

My workaround is to turn off RewriteLog.
%0