www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: os-os2/1664: Failure to properly startup every time
Date Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-os2/1664; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Brian Havard" <brianh@kheldar.apana.org.au>
To: "William Nau" <nau@ssesco.com>
Cc: "apbugs@apache.org" <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-os2/1664: Failure to properly startup every time
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 98 21:09:29 +1000

 >When I kill the server and restart it quickly (in a
 >command file), the server sometimes fails to start
 >properly.  Before being accessed, the number of httpd
 >processes quickly drops to one.  If a port 80 request
 >is made by a browser, that process dies.
 >
 >This appears to be new in the 1.3b3 beta.  It didn't
 >appear in the 1.2.4 release from Softlink.

 It would seem that the problem occurs when the new server starts up before
 the original server has finished shutting down. The new server can't open
 port 80 if the old server hasn't closed it yet so it terminates with an
 error.

 Ideally, you need to wait for the old process to die before starting the new
 one but a delay of a few seconds should be enough to make the script work as
 intended (EG "call SysSleep 5")

 Also, there's a bug in 1.3 beta 3 (now fixed) that caused shutdown to take an
 unnecessarily long time which would have increase the chances of this
 happening.