www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-other/1654: fails to fork off a cgi
Date Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-other/1654; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Michael Shalayeff <mickey@lucifier.dial-up.user.akula.net>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-other/1654: fails to fork off a cgi
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:34:32 -0700 (MST)

 On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Michael Shalayeff wrote:

 > Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Marc Slemko:

 > > > run apache for a busy site with a lot of cgi calls, hits and vhosts under
 > > > openbsd, experience 'unable to spaw child process' messages
 > >
 > > Erm... I'm not really sure why it should be necessary to retry forking.
 > > If it fails once, then it is probably due to limits such as the number of
 > > file descriptors or processes.  The answer is to fix the limitation, not
 > > to keep retrying until you can work around it.  Have you looked at doing
 > > this?
 > when this happens i have not reached 50% limit on file descriptors,
 > processes, memory and all the other system resources.

 Are you sure about this?  Where are you getting this information from.

 What does ulimit -a give when run from a shell directly before starting
 Apache?

 > > Any OS that requires trying multiple times for no reason before it works
 > > would be very broken...
 > maybe...

 Let's put it this way... without a good reason for it, there really isn't
 any reason to add this.  It is almost certainly something specific to your
 situation.