www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dave Hodson <d...@iprint.com>
Subject os-windows/1651: Username/PW in htpasswd file not interpreted correctly
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:47:47 GMT

>Number:         1651
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Username/PW in htpasswd file not interpreted correctly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm attempting to set-up authentication. Realizing that crypt()-like
functionality isn't available on NT (yet), my pw file looks like the following:

dave:tiger

When requesting anything in the "protected" area, I'm prompted
(correctly) for user name/pw. I enter dave for name and tiger for
pw. It fails.  The error_log tells me that:

[Sun Jan 11 16:35:51 1998] [error] user dave: password mismatch: /cgi-shl/junk.cgi

Now for the interesting part -- if I modify my pw file so it looks like:

dave:

(that is it has no pw) everything works just fine. So I think there may be
some problem with the way pw's on interpreted (or user names w/pw's...)
>How-To-Repeat:
I can provide you with more specific info via email