www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Renaud Waldura <ren...@ligos.com>
Subject mod_log-any/1645: Tabs in CustomLog format converted to spaces in log file
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 18:54:14 GMT

>Number:         1645
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Tabs in CustomLog format converted to spaces in log file
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Tab characters ("\t") in a CustomLog format string get converted to spaces
in the actual log file. This restriction isn't specified anywhere in the
documentation, hence highly surprising.
It doesn't seem to happen with any other character, just tabs.
>How-To-Repeat:
Define a CustomLog directive like this:
CustomLog logs/test_log "%h<tab>%U"

In the file test_log you'll get:
%h<space>%U
>Fix:
No. I read mod_log_config.c, and couldn't find anywhere a specific
case relating to tabs. To me it seems like the log format string is just
copied as is (mod_log_config.c, line 399).
Maybe the string is touched before being passed to mod_log_config%3