www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Thomas Hieber <thie...@aol.com>
Subject os-windows/1611: There is no way to automatically shutdown server on Windows 95
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:27:40 GMT

>Number:         1611
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       There is no way to automatically shutdown server on Windows 95
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I want to shut down Apache on Windows 95 by an external programm. (in my case to avoid the
message of Windows 95 when shutting down the system, that ther server is still running. Other
userfull usage of this might be cases when you want to/ have to shutdown and restart the server
in regular invervals.) I know this is pretty easy when using Windows NT. On Windows 95 i have
tried to start Apache by a launcher with redirected StandardIo-Handles. Sending a Control-C
over stdin doesn't help, as Apache seems to direct the handles back to standard. TerminateProcess
with the handle returned by CreateProcess doesn't work either. (It does nothing.) Anyway TerminateProcess
is not a recommended way to terminate an executable in Win32, as this might leave some System-DLL's
in an undefined state.

So what I am looking for, is a way to tell Apache to shut down
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I think it would be a good idea, to have a named Event, that could be raised by other applications.
This would allow a commandline switch for Apache to shutdown the server and also allow other
applications to do the same in a sane manner