www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ole Tange <ta...@ns.tange.org>
Subject Re: documentation/1535: Easily remembered aliases for WWW-mirror sites wanted
Date Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:14:30 GMT
On 9 Dec 1997 brian@hyperreal.org wrote:

> Synopsis: Easily remembered aliases for WWW-mirror sites wanted
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: brian
> State-Changed-When: Tue Dec  9 10:06:22 PST 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Good idea, but DNS can't redirect like that, it would
> have to be something like http://apache.sunsite.auc.dk/.

Oh, but don't use DNS for redirection. Use apache:

<VirtualHost 204.62.130.149>
 ServerName www.dk.apache.org
 ServerAlias dk.apache.org
 Redirect / http://sunsite.auc.dk/apache/
</VirtualHost>

> Furthermore a "dk.apache.org" would imply some sort of
> official relationship that may not exist.  We haven't
> decided whether to cross that bridge yet.

If you do the above, then you don't have to worry: The URL will not remain
on www.dk.apache.org but will change.

> Thanks for using Apache!

Wouldn't even THINK about using anything else (just like the other 49.97%
:-)

/Ole

--
Ole Tange