www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: os-solaris/1190: server processes in keepalive state do not die after keepalive-timeout
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 00:30:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/1190; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Eugene Crosser <crosser@average.org>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-solaris/1190: server processes in keepalive state do not die after keepalive-timeout
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:32:49 -0800 (PST)

 On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Eugene Crosser wrote:

 > > you wrote "1300 hits/day" ... I think you mean a few orders magnitude
 > > more, right? :)
 >
 > No.  The server is not *really* busy, I just mean that this cannot be
 > reproduced on a `test only' server, you need people coming from various
 > places and leaving connections up for a long time.

 But 1300 hits/*day* is barely any load at all.  That's why I'm asking what
 the real number is.

 > > Did you ever try doing kill -ALRM to one of the stuck keepalive children?
 > > Did it recover?
 >
 > I wrote it twice in my reports: yes I tried to kill the processes with
 > -ALRM, and *no*, the process does not notice it!  But if I kill it with
 > -TERM, it gracefully terminates.

 I just had to ask to be certain.  This pretty much confirms that the
 signal handler hasn't even been installed.  One more thing you can try if
 you can get to this state again is to send a kill -PIPE to the pid -- it
 should close up the connection and continue.  That'll narrow it down a wee
 bit more.

 Dean