www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kjell Krona <kr...@nada.kth.se>
Subject general/1509: Child processes becomes <defunct> after a couple of hours, server not responding
Date Thu, 04 Dec 1997 09:53:51 GMT

>Number:         1509
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Child processes becomes <defunct> after a couple of hours, server
not responding
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I have installed the Apache server to run the BSCW system from bscw.gmd.de. Unfortunately,
it stops running sometime during each night, when it is not used. To make sure that it is
not the BSCW system that causes the problem, I started a separate httpd process on another
port last night. After verifying that it was running correctly (showing the lcoal homepage),
it was left in essentially idle state during the night. Today, the browser gives first the

error message "Document contains no data", then with the next click the connection just waits
forever. ps shows all child processes as "<defunct>". After stopping the server as described
in the docs, the browser reports that the connection was lost (so a connection is made bit
not responded to). Wehen the server is restarted, everything work as expected for a while.

The only workaround I have found is to make a script with at which restarts the server. It
seems
to work (not disturbing anything else) but it does not feel proper..
>How-To-Repeat:
See above. Perhaps it is due to the server being idle too long?