www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Didato <leapf...@frognet.com>
Subject general/1443: child processes going to disk, gradually making server unusable
Date Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:12:26 GMT

>Number:         1443
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       child processes going to disk, gradually making server unusable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
This was difficult to catch in action, but several child httpd processes will
start showing up as "DW" in the process table. There is NO way to get rid of them,
i.e. kill -9 (as root) will not work. They begin to grow in number and gradually,
the load on the box will reach Max Clients if I don't reboot first. Kill -9 httpd.pid
doesn't get rid of these, just kills the parent.
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem is repeating itself almost daily on our machine.
Don't know how to replicate on another machine.