www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ray Bellis <...@community.net.uk>
Subject os-osf/1434: CGIs run using 'rsh' frequently abort prematurely.
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:15:48 GMT

>Number:         1434
>Category:       os-osf
>Synopsis:       CGIs run using 'rsh' frequently abort prematurely.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
So as not to run 'analog' on our main server our CGIs indirectly call 'rsh'
to offload the job onto another server.  Since upgrading to 1.2.4 we've had
problems where reports would abort prematurely, with no HTML document
returned.

Log symptoms would include lines such as 'rsh: select: bad file number', indicating that the
Apache server had closed the output socket.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Defining USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT (although supposedly only related to problems on new
listening sockets) appears to have cured the problem