www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Bronder <David-Bron...@uiowa.edu>
Subject mod_log-any/1430: Stray newline in error log date string
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 00:13:28 GMT

>Number:         1430
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Stray newline in error log date string
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Sometimes "access failed" errors are logged with a stray newline following the
date string but prior to the closing "]".  The log entry continues on the next
line starting with the "]" character.  For example:

> [Mon Nov 17 12:44:08 1997
> ] access to /local/www/home/grpproc/production/crisp.html failed for 199.72.241.189,
reason: File does not exist

Only "File does not exist" errors exhibit this behavior.  It does not seem to
be associated with any particular URI, nor with any particular connecting host.
These entries always log an IP address; most of the IPs have either no DNS A
records or nslookup reports an .in-addr.arpa alias and a hostname.  But at least
some of these addresses are in normal "access failed"/"File does not exist" log
entries, as well as in other errors.
>How-To-Repeat:
I have been unable to repeat the problem.  A partial list of IP addresses that
have exhibited this behavior on my server can be found at:

  <URL:http://fire.weeg.uiowa.edu/test/apache/log-error.txt>