www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matthew Emmerton <memme...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject mod_rewrite/1391: mod_rewrite tries to perform file locking on a pipe
Date Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:56:40 GMT

>Number:         1391
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       mod_rewrite tries to perform file locking on a pipe
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.0 and 5.0.2, using fcntl() to lock a pipe is illegal.

This results in an error 22 (EINVAL) when mod_rewrite tries to lock the pipe when fd_lock()
is called from lookup_map_program() (which uses unnamed pipes to the lookup process).

When this occurs, the lock isn't created, and the child process of Apache immediately terminates,
which causes a host of client errors (conenction unexpectdly terminated, unknown response,
etc.)

This bug is documented at SCO's website:

http://www5.sco.com/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=0518327359+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve
>How-To-Repeat:
Get a SCO 5.0.0 or 5.0.2 box, create a simple shell script to perform some task of a rewrite
operation, and watch it provide you with various client errors.

(I've fixed my servers, but I can break one if you want a demonstration.)
>Fix:
If you're running SCO ODT 5.0.0 or 5.0.2, simply add this to mod_rewrite.h
(I guess SCO is as braindead as Sun sometimes... <g>)

#ifdef SCO5
#undef USE_PIPE_LOCKING
#endif
%0