www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Андрей Чернов <a...@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject Re: general/1305: Apache is *very* unprotected against characters with 8bit set
Date Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:33:00 GMT
On 23 Oct 1997 dgaudet@hyperreal.org wrote:

> Adding (unsigned char) casts everywhere introduces more potential bugs
> than it is worth (i.e. it hides other potential signed/unsigned issues).

Hmm, what potential bugs your mean? I see no absolutely no bugs with this
cast. Of course I mean not "everywhere" but only in ctype macros.
Lots of popular software (like tin-unoff f.e.) already do that.

> Any ANSI compiler worth its salt has an option for unsigned chars, gcc
> included (-funsigned-char).  Does your patch have other things in it?

Of course making default char "unsigned" will be a sort of solution, if
Apache not essentialy use char as signed in some places. This solution
looks too global for me and can cause some prototypes problem...

> And as you mention we'll have a heck of a time doing locale() stuff
> on every platform.  Which is why this has not been solved.

(unsigned char) cast of ctype macro arg is absolutely safe in any
platform.

> But if you're keen on working on it, that's cool, but it needs
> to be investigated across multiple platforms... and you should
> join the new-httpd mailing list (via majordomo@apache.org).

Uh, maybe, but I have no time for another project right now...
I prefer to continue discuss issues I touch with anybody who interested
without reading yet one mailing list...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>