www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From k..@whscad1.wh.lucent.com (Kevin Q Brown)
Subject Re: config/1344: srm.conf line "UserDir disabled root" interpreted as "UserDir root"
Date Sat, 01 Nov 1997 01:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/1344; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: kqb@whscad1.wh.lucent.com (Kevin Q Brown)
To: marc@hyperreal.org, apache-bugdb@apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Cc: kqbrown@lucent.com
Subject: Re: config/1344: srm.conf line "UserDir disabled root" interpreted as "UserDir root"
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 20:14:09 EST

 > As the current docs clearly indicate, this feature
 > is only available in 1.3.  Exactly where does this
 > suggestion appear in the 1.2 docs?

 It now looks like I made a mistake approximately Aug. 5, 1997
 while reading one of the apache.org web pages such as:
   http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_userdir.html
 or:
   http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html
 Since those pages have not changed since Sun, 06 Jul 1997
 I must have not noticed on Aug. 5 that the srm.conf line:
     UserDir disabled root
 was recommended only for versions 1.3 or above.

 Thus, my only possible remaining suggestion is that in addition
 to strongly advising use of that line in 1.3 or above, you also
 strongly advise _not_ using it before 1.3. :-)

 Sorry for the bother.  You can close this PR.  Thanks.

 Kevin Q. Brown                              Bell Labs Design Automation
 Email: kqbrown@lucent.com   Voice: (973) 386-7344   Fax: (973) 386-6503