www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Line <j...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject mod_rewrite/1325: mod_rewrite may write log entries even with RewriteLogLevel 0
Date Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:13:09 GMT

>Number:         1325
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       mod_rewrite may write log entries even with RewriteLogLevel 0
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
With

RewriteEngine On
RewriteLog /logs/rewrite_log
RewriteLogLevel 0

at "top-level" in httpd.conf, I added a virtualhost section which included
some rewriting rules, the overall intention being to return an error for any
access to that virtual host (wrong hostname used...) via a CGI script. The
rewriting rules were an afterthought, and hence overlap the effect of the
Directory section in the virtual host definition, which reads:

<VirtualHost cygnus.csx.cam.ac.uk>
TransferLog /logs/cygnus-access_log
ErrorLog /logs/cygnus-error_log
ErrorDocument 403 /cgi-bin/WrongServer
ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/WrongServer
<Directory /WrongServerData>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
# Use rewrite rules to allow access to the WrongServer script but to
# treat all other paths as forbidden.
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/WrongServer$ - [L]
RewriteRule . - [F]
DocumentRoot /WrongServerData
</VirtualHost>

That all seems to work, *except* that in spite of the RewriteLogLevel 0
definition, rewrite_log still receives one log entry for each access,
corresponding to the first ([L]) rule, e.g.

131.111.8.45 - - [28/Oct/1997:12:04:24 +0000] [cygnus.csx.cam.ac.uk/
sid#7d040][rid#930f0/initial/redir#1] (1) pass through /cgi-bin/WrongServer

(all on one line).

[Additionally, I was slightly surprised to find that even with rewrite
log level increased to 9 (and with the <Directory> section commented out in case
that was taking precedence, nothing was being logged in rewrite_log for the
second RewriteRule, the one yielding "forbidden" and thus triggering the
error document.]

Thus, even with rewrite logging nominally disabled, some entries are written
to the log, which is presumably a bug. It may also be a bug that
the second rule does not result in a log entry when logging is enabled (even
at the highest level), but there may be some valid reason for that (e.g.
as a side-effect of it triggering an ErrorDocument).

I first noticed this with Apache 1.2.3, but subsequently confirmed that
the behaviour of 1.3b2 is similar.