www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Line <j...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject os-solaris/1321: regex handling broken (compiles OK, fails at run-time)
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:37:50 GMT

>Number:         1321
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       regex handling broken (compiles OK, fails at run-time)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Apache 1.3b2 compiles OK, but refuses to start if there are any BrowserMatch
directives in the config files (even when they are exactly as in the sample
config files), e.g.

Syntax error on line 49 of /httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
BrowserMatch regex could not be compiled.

If the BrowserMatch directives are commented out, Apache starts OK but on
encountering a .htaccess file including RewwriteRule directives it writes
error log entries such as

[Sat Oct 25 16:35:17 1997] [alert] (89)Operation not applicable:
/data/John/access-test/.htaccess: RewriteCond: cannot compile regular
expression '^jml.*\.csx.cam.ac.uk$'

Those are logged both when the server generates a directory index for the
*parent* directory (without any bad effect for the user) and also on attempting
to retrieve something from the directory containing a .htaccess for which such
a problem is reported, when access is rejected with "500 Internal Server Error".
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Noting PR#1246 regarding regex problems with an old HP-UX version, I looked
around and found that Configure explicitly selects WANTHSREGEX for Solaris 2.3 and
earlier but not for 2.4 and later. Editing Configure to treat Solaris 2.4
the same as 2.3 and earlier seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if
that is the right fix, or if the default configuration ought to work on
Solaris 2.4 but there is a fixable bug in the way regexps were being handled,
and my change simply bypasses it