www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: protocol/1237: Server fails to respond to submit request for a form.
Date Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR protocol/1237; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: John Murtari <jmurtari@thebook.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: protocol/1237: Server fails to respond to submit request for a form.
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:41:00 -0700 (PDT)

 It's likely worse in 1.2.4 than 1.2b6 because in 1.2b7 or so I overhauled
 Apache's network performance.  The bugs in other browsers show up
 particularly because they "like" webservers to send the headers in one
 packet, and the rest of the data in subsequent packets.  Apache never does
 that deliberately any longer.  Note that even if Apache were changed to
 flush its buffer after the headers it wouldn't guarantee the clients would
 see things nice and rosy like they want -- because TCP gets to make the
 decision about where packet boundaries are.  So these latent bugs in
 browsers have to be fixed anyhow, and I'd rather not back down on this
 performance change.

 The changes were prompted by early versions of the paper
 <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html> which showed
 how poor Apache was at stuffing network packets.  We're now pretty close
 to optimal.

 1.3 won't make it any better, although it may change the behaviour a bit.
 1.3 uses writev() to replace two write()s.

 Dean