www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From m...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: mod_digest/1297: mod_digest: what browsers does it work with?
Date Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:39:40 GMT
Synopsis: mod_digest: what browsers does it work with?

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Wed Oct 22 07:39:40 PDT 1997
State-Changed-Why:
This is not a bug report, but a configuration
question; mostly not really related to Apache.  Please
do not submit problem reports for such things.

I am not aware of any mainstream clients that support it.

The docs say:
   MD5 authentication provides a more secure password system, but only
   works with supporting browsers. As of this writing (July 1996), the
   majority of browsers do not support digest authentication. Therefore,
   we do not recommend using this feature on a large Internet site.
   However, for personal and intra-net use, where browser users can be
   controlled, it is ideal.

Unfortunately, browser vendors haven't yet woken up to the
need for an auth method stronger than basic but not as
painful as SSL client certificates.